Why is My Steering Wheel Shaking?
My steering wheel shakes – learn what this means for your vehicle. Find yourself wondering, “why is my steering wheel shaking”? The expert team at Douglass Nissan of Waco in Waco is here to help. The most common reason for a shaking steering wheel is the alignment of your vehicle’s tires. When the tires are unbalanced, this can cause the wheels to make your steering wheel vibrate, and sometimes even the entire vehicle. Other mechanical issues can cause the wheel to shake as well. Learn more about these causes and be sure to bring your vehicle into our Douglass Nissan of Waco service center to have it inspected out should this issue arise.
My Steering Wheel Shakes: Five Causes
My steering wheel shakes – why? There are five common reasons why you may feel shaking in your steering wheel. Each of them arises from different problems your vehicle could be having. Be sure to pay close attention to these warning signs and be sure to have your vehicle checked out to make sure these problems don’t get any worse:
- Unbalanced wheels: The weight placement of your tires is critical. If the weight isn’t distributed evenly when the tire is put on, you’ll feel vehicle vibration. This is more commonly the case in vehicles with lightweight suspension systems. If this does unresolved, you could have future issues with the shocks, struts, and other steering components. Bring your vehicle to our service center in Waco to have the wheels checked and repositioned.
- Misalignment: Similar to unbalanced wheels, improper positioning of your vehicle’s wheels can cause issues on Woodway roads. If you avoid obstacles like potholes and uneven railroad tracks, then misalignment is less likely to be the issue. If you notice the tread on your tires is uneven, misalignment is likely the problem.
- Bad bearings: If there is damage or not inefficient lubrication to keep these bearings working properly, they will cause friction which explains the shaking of your steering wheel. However, this only causes the wheel to shake when you are turning. Most times a simple cleaning of the bearings can help, but if there’s damage, they’ll need to be replaced and that can typically cost Hewitt drivers up to $450 including labor costs.
- Suspension issues: If parts are worn, loose, or the driveshaft is imbalanced, this could certainly be the cause. Though these are simple fixes, they should be completed as soon as possible. Waiting to have these parts fixed could cause increased damage.
- Brake issues: If you notice your steering wheel shakes when slowing down on McGregor roads, the issue lies within your brakes. Worn brake pads, defective brake discs, and even worn shocks can be the issue. Brake pads are also a simple replacement but can cost up to $300 per axle depending on where you have your vehicle serviced.
Bring Your Nissan Into Our Service Center at Douglass Nissan of Waco
After exploring the different reasons that cause steering wheel shaking, you can bring your new or used vehicle into our service center at Douglass Nissan of Waco near Woodway to have it inspected. When you tell our technicians, “my steering wheel shakes,” we look into all of the aspects mentioned above to ensure we find the issue and resolve it the right way, getting you back to the Hewitt roads faster. Contact us with any questions you may still have or to schedule an appointment.
More From Douglass Nissan of Waco
Hewitt drivers who are in the market for a sport sedan that has sleek style, exceptional performance, and a comfortable and technologically advanced interior will find all of that and more in the 2021 Nissan Sentra. If that’s not enough for you, 2021 Nissan Sentra fuel efficiency is sure to seal the deal. Read ahead…
Have you been searching for an SUV that can tow anything from jet skis to rowboats for your Woodway weekends? Consider the Nissan Rogue! Just how much can a Nissan Rogue tow? The 2021 Nissan Rogue towing capacity is an impressive 1,350 pounds, which is enough to meet the needs of most Hewitt SUV…
If you need a pickup truck that’s as convenient as it is capable, then the 2021 Nissan Frontier should be at the top of your list. First off, there’s the formidable Nissan Frontier towing capacity: up to 6,720 pounds for your toughest tasks in Hewitt. But thanks to its full list of connectivity features…