How to Unlock a Steering Wheel
Is the steering wheel on your car locked in place? Climbing into the driver’s seat of your automobile only to find that the steering wheel is locked in place can be super frustrating and inconvenient, but don’t worry. Douglass Nissan of Waco is here to help. Here are some helpful tips on how to unlock a steering wheel in Waco.
Five Simple Steps to Unlock a Steering Wheel
You might have to try more than one of these methods to get your steering wheel unlocked. If none of these methods work, don’t fret. Douglass Nissan of Waco has your back. Our experienced service technicians are here to serve %%target-city_1%% and Hewitt. First, try these methods:
- Turn the key while trying to turn the wheel at the same time.
- Apply different amounts of pressure to the key while it is in the ignition and at the same time try to work the steering wheel back and forth. Even when locked, the steering wheel should turn a little. Keep trying until the steering wheel unlocks. Do NOT try to force the key or the steering wheel by applying too much pressure because you could break the key off or damage your steering.
- Try a different key. If you have more than one key to your vehicle, try them all. Your usual key could be worn or damaged, causing it to not work properly.
- Clean out any debris in the ignition. Slide the key in and out of the ignition to try and clear any dirt or debris that might be keeping the ignition from turning. If this doesn’t work, remove the key from the ignition and spray some puffs of canned air (available from most electronics and office supply stores) into the ignition.
- Lubricate the keyhole. You can do it using an electronics cleaner or a lubricant like WD 40. Just use one or two little squirts.
- Replace the ignition cylinder. If none of the other methods work, this is your last option.
How to Lock Your Steering Wheel
You might be wondering why you would want to lock your steering wheel? If a thief is able to hotwire your vehicle in McGregor, they will not be able to steer if the steering wheel is locked. Locking your steering wheel is simple and can prevent it from being stolen. Turn the wheel all the way in either direction before turning off your vehicle to lock it in place.
Bring Your Car to Douglass Nissan of Waco for Service Today
Whether you need service on your vehicle or need a new car, the friendly team at Douglass Nissan of Waco is at your service! Find out for yourself why our customers keep coming back year after year. Check out our new vehicle specials and service specials, and then contact us today!
We’d also love to help you learn about brunch spots in Waco.
Learn More With Douglass Nissan of Waco
Whether you’re a young professional from Hewitt or if you have a growing family in Robinson, you already know that the 2020 Nissan Altima offers the comfort, convenience, and capability you need to make the most of your everyday drives. But you don’t have to take our word for it! Our team at Douglass Nissan of Waco has…
Find a New Nissan Rogue for Sale in Waco When you’re ready to take home a new Nissan Rogue for sale from Douglass Nissan of Waco, taking advantage of our Nissan Rogue lease deals will help you land a competitive Nissan Rogue lease price you’re sure to love. If you’re searching for a reliable SUV that offers plenty…
Whether you need a truck for weekend adventures or weekday to-dos, the 2020 Nissan Frontier offers the advanced convenience and capability you need. Equipped with an all-new engine and offering a maximum towing capacity of up to 6,720 pounds when properly equipped, you can haul all you need to get the job done right. Read…